An Ode to Scientists

I would like to tell you that today there are
Terrible treaterous times and there are those
Telling others they can treat the tragedy.
But they cannot treat their own. For instance,
Chemists create chemicals to capture creativity
In carbon compounds. Clearly, they consume clarity.
Researchers rewind retold reports of related research
In hopes of rediscovering randomness.
Biologists bother bacteria and their brothers to bring
Upon a ballet of brilliance, yet only bicker while baffling.
Philosophers fiddle with fidelity to fiction and cause friction
Between forgiveness and fulfillness.
I could keep listing the iconoclasts of infinitesimal
Insidious ignition, but that would not help you understand
The uncomfortable understatement of truth that
Scientists see what they want, and they are sagacious
In their senses but still surprise with the scarcity of
Sentientness. In learning about the world they limit their
Love for it, and leave their minds languid and languishing,
Yearning for something yonder their yield.
They must measure malapropisms with magniloquence
And look upon poetry as power to propel their paragons
To avoid perishing in their plights.  

Comments

  1. The alliteration is really creative, and the variety of images you use really makes the poem vivid and satisfying to read (like "rewind retold reports of related research in hopes of rediscovering randomness" or "bring upon a ballet of brilliance"). I was impressed by how you fit so many ideas about scientists while also keeping a solid alliterative structure. I also like the last few lines of the poem and how you explain why scientists need poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the alliteration works well in this poem. I enjoy how you explore different areas of science, even including philosophy (as is appropriate, historically). Run your poem through spellcheck and tell me who in your group you are, poet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoyed reading your poem. I think that the alliteration is very playful without being obtrusive. Sometimes I wish you would've used more common vocabulary. Also, the point about philosophers slightly confused me. But I liked the way that your poem flowed, and it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this poem because of the alliteration as well (unoriginal I know). As I was reading, it made me wonder how you thought of those words to describe those occupations and still drive the point across. Apart from the alliteration, I also thought the line about scientists losing love for the world they pursue particularly stuck with me. In your descriptions it seems as though the scientists were engaged, but with that line the work shifted from being their inspiration to becoming a burden. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very creative way of answering the prompt. It's amazing how you formatted your ideas into a poem. While it doesn't have a definite rhyme scheme, there is still that flow that makes the poem more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, by process of elimination, I've deduced that this is Tori. Correct me if I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

are all poems married?

Box

All 0s and 1s