In My Backyard

This is so hard
I’m sitting in my backyard
Thinking about words to say
Hoping I’m not astray
Words want to fly away
Nothing to display
I can’t say a word in mind
That will satisfy this story
Running away from glory
I'm a rock in its quarry
Sadly, no substitut…
Can’t say that word


Brief Commentary:

I had a hard time thinking of what to write. Writing the poem helped me realize how important each letter of the alphabet can be. Without the letter e, my whole vocabulary became much more limited. Putting in a rhyme pattern took me a longer time than normal.

- Matthew Jin 

Comments

  1. I thought your poem was funny and sort of similar to mine. Mine was also about contemplating how to go about this problem. I liked the use of rhyming. It made the poem flow better and overall more pleasant to read. Also, at the end where you stopped mid-phrase with the (...) was amusing and a fun twist on the assignment. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like the abrupt, non-rhyming ending since it wraps up the concept of your writing process in a funny way. I'm curious by what you mean with "I'm a rock in its quarry", and what your idea was with the penultimate line. The varying meter in each line sounds chaotic and echoes your distress while trying to write the poem, and the rhyme scheme fit nicely. Nice work! Good try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other people have commented on the abrupt break to the rhyme scheme at the end. I think it's quite fitting -- you are trying to write a poem, you crash headlong into the forbidden letter, and then your train of thought is derailed. Also interestingly, the last line is a slant rhyme to the first line, creating a sort of connection between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you approached this poem, and talk about the process or thoughts that go into it. And I agree with the comments that say the abrupt end of the rhyme scheme is quite fitting. The last line brings humor to the whole poem and puts the work that you did to write it in perspective. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate all the observant comments on this little poem. I'm not sure who posted this post, though. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Box

are all poems married?

All 0s and 1s